Keynote in Colombo relates to neurodiversity and why consider the need to identify and support all children in the classroom and not some. Amanda highlighted the evidence for this and provided practical strategies for schools to take this on board.
5Cs for schools:
- Connect– to develop a trusted relationship
- Comprehend how each child behaves and why and understand their profile of strengths and challenges
- Channel learning through interest and motivation
- Communicate with the child, parents, other teachers, and all those in the child’s ecology
- Celebrate– success, skills, effort, empathy, care